How to Validate that Your Duplicate Rules are Working
It is not possible to look at the current entries in your duplicate lists because for security reasons the entries are one-way hashed and can not be turned back into the original values. This is similar to the way many modern systems store passwords.
If you wish to prove to yourself that they are working then the following test plan will work.
- Create a test buyer named something like "No Buyer" or perhaps your company name.
- Create an interface called something like "Always Accepts" or "No Post" and:
This interface will always produce an accept so long as any attached filters and duplicate checks pass.
- Set the lead buyer to the one you just created
- Leave Post and Response type "-none-"
- Create a Lead Point Called "Test Duplicates" and:
- Set the interface to the one you just created
- Attach your duplicate rule to this lead point
- You don't need to configure any URLs or any other settings
- If you do not have a Ping Tree set up for testing create it and name it something like "Test Ping Tree". We do
not recommend creating many test ping trees--just reuse an existing test ping tree if you already have one. One test ping tree per user is sufficient.
- Set the Form to be the same one for your production ping tree
- Use the default Unique Lead definition
- Set the Unique Lead Duration very low e.g. 10 seconds to maybe 1 minute maximum
- Set "Max Accepts Per Lead" to 1.
- On the PingTree Order tab create one Tier and add the "Test Duplicates" Lead Point to that tier
- save the ping tree
- Open the ping tree definition once more and use its "Open TestPost Page" link to open a test page.
- Click the "Start All Over" link and then close this new window. This clears all of our system's tracking cookies from your browser.
- Go back to your ping tree once more and use its "Open TestPost Page" link to open the test page again. You should now be here without any tracking cookies.
- Specify a valid promotion ID. It helps if you have one defined with an ID
such as "test" that can be used anywhere and that has no payout terms or
- Specify a response type of XML (or just X) via "Response Format (X/R)".
- Complete the ping tree specific fields in the bottom section sufficient enough to pass all validations.
- Click the "Submit Form to Ping Tree Processor" button. You should get an Accept. If not then hit your browser's back button and make corrections until you get an Accept.
- Once you get an Accept quickly hit your browser's back button within the time allocated (10 seconds to 1 minute was suggested) and without changing anything click the "Submit Form to Ping Tree Processor" button again. You should get a Decline.
- In the browser window that is positioned on your Ping Tree definition click Cancel and then go to Reporting > Click Search and find this Click/Submit. Review the details. You will see that the reason for the Decline is that the lead is a duplicate.
- Back in the browser window that is displaying the XML Decline hit your browser's back button. Wait until the time period for this duplicate entry expires and then click the "Submit Form to Ping Tree Processor" button. You should get an Accept.